Friday, 14 January 2011

Review of the week

This week I asked the children to write a few notes to review the week; often they have a different perspective on the week to me or to another child in the class so their reviews made interesting reading!

One child wrote:

"I wrote what I did this weekend.
I did lots of maths to do with division.
We talked about children sharing challenges and risks.
We had a bunch of specials.
We wrote letters.
We put stuff in our portfolios.
We played on Mathletics.
We read.
Last but not least we wrote what we did this week".

That is pretty much what happened this week in a nutshell but I think I will elaborate on it!

Writing.
The children wrote about their holidays. They needed to plan before hand so that, when they came to write, their ideas were organised logically and followed a sequence. Afterwards they proofread their work, checking spelling, sentence structure, punctuation and grammar, correcting as they went.

Maths.
This week we have reviewed division and begun our unit on fractions, decimals and percentages. Reviewing division and exploring a different strategy for division helped as we moved on to discuss fractions. When the children reflected on their division work, many commented on how easy it was to understand and how division wasn't as stressful as they thought (Of course, it's not meant to be stressful, so that was good!) We looked at equivalence between fractions, decimals and percentages and will continue our exploration next week.

Unit of Inquiry: Sharing the Planet.
Our central idea is: Children share challenges and risks. They have briefly discussed water, healthcare, war, education, internet safety, road safety, amongst other things and, next week will explore challenges and risks further. The class will think about children around the world, including themselves, as they explore this theme.

Specials.
Of course, I don't see them in Specials but they always go with a happy smile and return with a happy smile, so they must be having a good time!

Literacy
The children write me letters about what they are reading. They might tell me about the plot or the characters or they explain why they chose that book or why they like/dislike it. Sometimes they recommend books to me to read.

Portfolios
These are regularly updated and children choose which work to put in. They need to justify its inclusion which means they need to think very carefully and reflect on their learning.

Mathletics
Mathletics is great for skills practice and for developing fast recall of facts. The children are able to do this at home too.

We have been busy this week and will be busier next week I am sure! The children settled back well and I am looking forward to the next few weeks.

Have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment